2009年2月17日星期二

“I am extremely terrified of Chinese people” - Sinophobia?

Today is Friday the 13th. However, it seems that more people are suffering from Sinophobia than paraskevidekatriaphobia or friggatriskaidekaphobia nowadays. Well, it’s good to be more realistic than superstitious, isn’t it?

A coadjutor of mine emailed me a picture last night, which aroused my interest. (You may try to type in “I am extremely terrified of Chinese people” on Google and you would know what the picture looked like)

Curiously, I performed a tentative search myself on Google and it returned an enormous list of 86100 results. Wow, the world really has many Sinophobics.

AngryAsianMan.com questioned whether the hordes of Google users were indeed terrified of Chinese people. And if so, why? Actually, the whole thing was stirred up by a blog article titled “I am extremely terrified of Chinese people” by a netizen nicknamed Amber on ChristWire.org. I will not comment on what kind a website ChristWire is. The article itself is “interesting” enough. Besides a deliberate distorting of the fact by stating “China managed to reconquer the lands of Hong Kong and steal it back from Great Britain”, a vague allusion to the Pearl Harbor and “these Asian peoples joined up with Adoldf(*1) Hitler in order to destroy the most moral nation on Earth” showed clearly the author’s lack of knowledge in some historical subjects. It’s even more ridiculous to attribute “the recent housing market crunch and faltering US economy” to the Chinese communism.

The only thing in the article I could concur is the author’s claim that he is “not a racist”. No, you are not a racist, amigo; you are merely a pathetic ignorant idiot.



*1: If only you could spell Adolf Hitler’s name correctly, mein freund.